Sunday, September 8, 2013

Trading Spaces



Ecclesiastes 1:9

Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)

What has been is what will be,

and what has been done is what will be done;

there is nothing new under the sun.

(History merely repeats itself. It has all been done before. Nothing under the sun is truly new.)

There used to be a show on TLC that I loved to watch when we had cable. (And yes I mean cable and not satellite tv.) It was called Trading Spaces. Many of you have probably seen it. If not, basically it was a couple of neighbors, or friends, re-doing a room in the other's home. It was a great deal of fun to watch what they did and the reaction of the homeowners at the big reveal in the end.  It was from this show that I got to love paint, and what it could do for a house to make it a home. I love to paint cabinets, and furniture, as well as walls. At our last house I painted brand new kitchen cabinets before we even moved in. I know many a congregation member that thought I was a bit nuts. But I love white kitchens, even if it means extra work to keep them clean.
Since moving here to North Dakota, I've been collecting furniture. People here just throw it to the curb. I love this. At first I felt a little sheepish stuffing furniture in the back of my vehicle that others were throwing away, but I soon got over it. Refinishing these found treasures has been a wonderful way to pass time while waiting to get into our new place. Most of these items I'm not sure where I will put. In the end I will probably sell them.  I was thinking about all this today and wondered how many others out there are like myself, that have a passion for re-doing their homes, but can't afford to spend the money on it? I can't be the only one of my kind.... I know some of my very good sensible friends, I am thinking of one very dear to my heart in particular, that has had the same furniture since they got married, They only buy the best quality to last more than a lifetime.  I have some pieces I love, but after a while, I start to give much of my furniture a second look. I want to change them up. Re-create them, or get rid of them.
                                                                             (BEFORE ->)
So here's my idea, instead of trading spaces, why not trade furniture. I had a king sized bed that I knew would not work for us any longer in our new home.  Just way too big. So I gave it away.  I am happy that our bed has a nice new home. Yes, I truly look at furniture as part of my home, therefore almost family. About the same time driving home one evening, I saw a solid oak bookshelf/entertainment unit sitting by the side of the road. I turned around and knocked on the door. Yup, another curbside toss.  I promptly drove home to get my husband and a truck to haul it back to the place we are living. I have some before pictures that I will add here. But I digress, (easy to do if you're me) what if you looked at an object in your home that you no longer wanted or needed and put it up for trade. No cash involved, just a straight trade or give away. I love free things. Who doesn't!???  But I also love to give things away.  I thought, hey I've stumbled onto a great idea.. Unfortunately as the above verse states, there is nothing new under the sun. There's even a website that calls itself Tradeaway.com. I am not recommending that site, or un-recommending it for that matter. Just pointing out that one already exists. My idea is even a bit more simple. Just use our social media outlets like Facebook, and Twitter, to share with family and friends any item you want to trade away, or give away.  A bit like kicking it to the curb to see items find a new home. When I needed to get rid of a tv I no longer needed, I mentioned it on Facebook and it was gone in a flash.  Right now I want some extra cabinets to redo to put in the new mudroom, anyone got some I can have?


AFTER --> I had originally thought I would paint it white. However, when I cleaned it up and took off the doors, I loved it. I also have the glass shelves. I did touch up the paint a bit, and will be adding some baskets to the bottom cubicles. I've also thought about using milk crates for easy viewing, but who knew those are so popular now they've become expensive.  Would love some ideas if anyone has some! Here are some more before and after shots.







No comments:

Post a Comment